Logan Energy is the established leader in the provision of energy solutions harnessing the power of hydrogen in fuel cells and other hydrogen technologies to provide low to zero carbon energy solutions.
Logan Energy can help your organisation realise clean, quiet, efficient and reliable energy schemes, both prime power and UPS, which can run on carbon free fuels or use conventional fossil fuels more efficiently than other technologies and thus significantly reduce carbon emissions through:
- Fuel Cell Project Consulting
- Project Marketing and Sales
- Site Evaluations and Applications Engineering
- Turn-Key Installation Packages:
- Feasibility Studies
- Full Design services
- Securing local national, and international incentives
- Project Finance
- Power supply, Energy supply or ESCO type contracts
- Customer Support
- Complete Operations and Maintenance Package
- Product Training
- Power Rating – UPS systems available in a range of capacities from 1kWe through to 30kWe in a single module. Prime power installations available from 10kWe to 2.8MWe in a single module. Multiple module configurations can be achieved allowing increased capacity subject to space.
- Nominal Voltage a range of voltage outputs and AC or DC, although typically for telecommunication application -48V dc and 24V dc are available for low power applications.
- Fuels - most standby applications would operate on hydrogen, derived from high pressure cylinders. Prime power units generally run on natural gas. Alternative solutions are available using LPG, methanol and CNG
- Certifications systems are certified to CE directives including Low voltage and EMC directives
- Autonomy for UPS is dependent on the operators SLA and KPI and can be anything from 1 hour to 7 days this is limited only by the space available for fuel storage
- Indoor and Outdoor rated systems are available that offer solutions for both indoor and outdoor applications
- Dimensions typically a 5kW UPS system offering 12 hours autonomy would have a footprint of approximately 1.8m2 much less than the equivalent battery arrangement for the same autonomy.
Advantages of Fuel Cells for Telecoms Applications
- Autonomy – Fuel cells are able to operate as long as there is available fuel.
- Remote monitoring – Fuel cells can be fully monitored from one central location
- Footprint for UPS –The space required for the same period of runtime is considerably less for fuel cells than for battery banks. Fuel cells do not require the extent of cooling required by batteries thereby reducing the need for air conditioning.
- Fuels - The majority of UPS systems operate on hydrogen (in this instance the only emission is water), which can be generated from renewable sources (electrolysis) or from reformed hydrocarbons (methanol, propane and natural gas) either at the unit or remotely and supplied as hydrogen.
- Temperature tolerance – unlike batteries, fuel cells do not degrade at high temperatures and their operational range can be between - 40°C and +50°C
- Integration – fuel cell systems provided as either a standalone unit similar in size to a small refrigerator (for applications like base stations) or can be located internally within BTS, BSC or MSC suites of racks
- Cost – over the lifetime of the unit a fuel cell prime power or UPS system can offer significant operational cost savings over existing technologies. This include: maintenance, repairs, transport and disposal
- Reliability - In many cases, fuel cells are able to offer higher reliability and MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) and are more reliable than standby generators
- Environmental – Unlike generators, fuel cells do not use combustion and therefore there are no NOx, SOx or particulate emissions from the unit. These characteristics can reduce complications with site placement and integration. In addition, a fuel cell has very few moving parts which generate noise so noise emissions from fuels are very low in comparison.
- Maintenance – fuel cells have very few moving parts which reduces the frequency of regular maintenance In general PEM fuel cells installed as a UPS require only 1 annual maintenance visit, where ICE based generators require at least 4 subject to run hours
Independent of Manufacturer and Technology
Being independent of both manufacturer and technology enables Logan Energy to provide impartial advice on the alternative energy option that today’s hydrogen technologies offer. It is this independence that allows us to deliver the right solution for each and every application. Passionate about hydrogen and with an unparalleled history in fuel cells, Logan Energy does not limit itself to the application of fuel cells but includes all technologies that either generate or utilise Hydrogen and hydrocarbons. Experience
Logan Energy has been installing fuel cells since 1995. No other organisation has the depth or range of experience of different applications. Logan has been responsible for over 130 fuel cell solutions.
Our in-house team have just over 100 man years of hands-on practical experience of fuel cell and energy solutions from feasibility studies to design and planning, detail engineering, installation, , commissioning, operations and maintenance.