HySA Catalysis Competence Centre
Department of Chemical Engineering
Engineering & the Built Environment
The Key Technology Specialist: Fuel Processor Engineering will be based in Cape Town on a 3 – 5 year contract at the University of Cape Town campus. The individual will provide technical guidance in the area of expertise to all relevant projects in the centre’s portfolio and establish and maintain world-class R&D processes in the laboratories. As the technical expert, he/she will ensure transfer of technology know-how in the centre hub and its spokes. He/she will also mentor postgraduate students in executing their MSc or PhD level research.
- Provide technical guidance to the project teams in all relevant projects.
- Establish and maintain world-class R&D processes in the centre hub and its spokes.
- Transfer internationally recognised knowledge, skills and expertise to the local HySA community and provide mentorship to the HySA community.
- Develop comprehensive local competence with a view to eventually establishing a domestic manufacturing base in South Africa.
- Include significant South African innovations and ensure the performance from locally developed technologies is within five years from leading technologies’ performance.
- Assist in the business planning, the budgeting process, and technical reporting requirements of the key programme and all relevant projects.
- A recognised record of experience in the field of fuel processor engineering is essential. Experience in (trans-)portable power devices is preferred.
- The successful incumbent will have previously built fuel processors or fuel processor stages himself/herself and will have been involved with the design work for the fuel processor train including thermal integration. He/she would ideally have a minimum of two years’ of relevant experience after graduating with a MSc or higher degree in an Engineering discipline.
- Credible with customers, the successful incumbent will be not only be technically incisive but commercially oriented and entrepreneurial by nature.
- Willing to relocate to Cape Town on a 3 – 5 year contract.
The incumbent will be offered an internationally competitive package.
To apply please e-mail the completed UCT Application form and all other relevant documentation as indicated on the form, to Ms E. Graham, Staff Recruitment and Selection, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch 7700.
E-mail: Edith.Graham@uct.ac.za: Telephone: +27 21 650 5405; Faculty website: www.ebe.uct.ac.za
The application form can also be downloaded at http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Reference no: SR176/11
Closing date for applications: 7 October 2011