SGL Group – The Carbon Company – is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of carbon-based products. Focusing on creating innovative solutions and value for our customers, we rely on our core competencies and on our Company philosophy of SGL Excellence.
We have close relationships with our customers through a sales network that spans the globe supported by more than 30 production sites in Europe, North America, and Asia.
In the fuel cell industry, we currently supply materials for Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM), Direct Methanol (DMFC), Phosphoric Acid (PAFC) and Molten Carbonate (MCFC) stacks.
SGL Carbon’s GDL group is involved in several public funded collaborative projects. While some target directions are very design and application specific, a few general statements can be distilled from the vast data.
- Asymmetric (anode GDL different to cathode GDL) has shown to be a very effective way to generate significant performance advantages. SGL Carbon assists this approach by making a vast variety of comparable substrate structures available. Developers can select from five different substrates (parameters are thickness and porosity), more than five different substrate hydrophobic treatment levels, and several established microporous layer compositions.
- Beyond the established MPL compositions, there are new developments, which show significant advantages at select applications and conditions. SGL is welcoming approaches to discuss the suitability of these GDL development directions for your target applications.
We continually explore opportunities within all fuel cell environments and applications, and invite stack and MEA developers to contact us to explore using our GDL in their products.
Advantages of our finished GDLs
- Microporous layer improves stack efficiency and durability
- Economy of scales due to the use of continuous manufacturing process
- Optimized for all operating conditions
- Operates with all available MEAs
- Compatible with 5-layer MEA technology
- Roll and sheet form, cut to fit your design requirements
Recommended SIGRACET® GDL grades for your application